The Gap Identification Service is a reasoning engine. It allows you to group your data users in terms of the knowledge they have. This will enhance their experience while accessing the datasets, as the descriptive information they will retrieve will be tailored for their specific profile.
This module analyses the available information in terms of:
- Modules: all single pieces of information contained into the Registry (all digital objects, related software, etc.)
- Dependencies: the logical links – and their meaning – between the modules (e.g the module “satellite image” – is obtained from – the module “radar sensor”)
- Profiles: the specific knowledge of each user community in terms of known modules and dependencies.
Three typical scenarios can be foreseen to better understand what kind of problems the Gap Identification Service is able to address:
- New data: A new class of digital objects is now available (e.g. a new instrument is used for in-situ measurements): can current user communities understand these new digital objects? What are the missing modules/dependencies to allow users to exploit data?
- New user: A new community of users starts using existing data (e.g. volcanologists start using high resolution SAR images for their research): can the new user community understand the digital object? What are the missing modules/dependencies to allow them to exploit data?
- Data/user change or evolution: the digital object RepInfo has changed (e.g. new products can now be derived from the existing data) or the profile of users has evolved (e.g. specific training on high resolution SAR images is provided to Volcanologists so that they can now perform more complex operations). How can the representation knowledge network be accommodated the new modules and dependencies? What are the modules/dependencies affected by these changes?
- Try it out at:
- Quick start guide
- Detailed documentation
- Download the latest release of the GapIS software for installation at your own premises: http://nexus.scidip-es.eu/content/repositories/releases/eu/scidipes/services/gapidentificationservice/